Chief Structural Engineer
The Chief Structural Engineer provides leadership and mentoring to the Structural Engineering Team. The Chief develops standards, performs Quality Assurance, manages projects, works with customers, and performs basic Structural Engineering functions. A major role of the Chief Structural Engineer shall be developing and validating project scopes and design deliverables during the sales and contract development process.
Industries served include distilleries, chemical plants, utility plants, food/beverage processing facilities, and other types of manufacturers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as a senior professional in a lead capacity in planning, preparing and supervising the development of detailed design and specifications for industrial structures, systems and equipment.
- Serve as the lead design engineer on projects including construction document preparation (plans, specifications, bidding documents, etc.).
- Coach, mentor, develop, and motivate subordinates as necessary to meet established goals; review and appraise their work performance.
- Function as a manager, supervising designers and other engineering staff members, interfacing directly with project personnel and clients.
- Supervise and manage the performance, development, work quality, reporting, and activities of Engineers and CAD Designers within project budgets and schedules.
- Develop and manage project schedules and budgets for projects as assigned.
- Perform site visits and meetings with clients and field personnel to establish scope of work.
- Prepare proposals for scopes of work and develop engineering effort hour estimates accordingly.
- Design new structures and existing structural upgrades.
- Prepare and review concrete, masonry, wood, and structural steel designs and analyses per project specifications and applicable codes.
- Prepare and review technical reports and specifications.
- Prepare sketches and coordinate with Designers/Drafters in the development of 3D models and 2D design drawings utilizing AutoCAD and/or REVIT.
- Construction Administration including shop drawing review and site visits.
- Review requisitions, RFI’s, change orders, and other documents associated with projects.
- Perform site visits and field activities, such as observing and documenting existing conditions or taking measurements in a variety of environments.
- Design foundations for heavy process structures and equipment, dynamic and rotating equipment, and industrial buildings.
- Design industrial process structural steel open structures, i.e. pipe racks and platforms.
- Provide experience to assist in the development of architectural design concepts to meet applicable Egress and Life Safety code requirements.
- Assist in development of civil site plans for site drainage, grading, utility plans & profiles, etc.
Education and Experience:
- B.S. or M.Eng. ABET Accredited Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
- Distinguished in the use of RISA 3D or similar structural design and analysis software.
- Knowledge of codes and standards relevant to industrial structural design (AISC, ACI 318, ACI 530, NDS, PCI, ASCE-7, IBC, IFC, IECC, OSHA, AISI, API, NFPA, FM Global, PIP Standards, e.g.).
- Minimum of 15 years directly related experience in an structural engineering/construction project accountability role
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience in a project management capacity especially experience in leading, motivating, and developing employees
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
- Professional Engineer (PE) License required
- Structural Engineer (SE) License preferred
- Completed NCEES Record with ability to obtain licensure in multiple states
We offer competitive salaries with the opportunity for additional work incentives. Employees get paid vacation time, paid holidays, and a paid insurance benefits package. We also offer a 401K with employee matching.